In the summer of 2018, I visited Thailand. It was an incredible experience, filled with amazing sites, elephant visits, beaches, new food, and new drinks. One of those drinks? Thai iced tea. It was the very first drink we tried, on our very first day there.
Lately, I’ve been reminiscing on those vacation days, and I wanted something to remind me of them, since it is impossible to travel right now.
I was thinking how I love coffee and I love specialty drinks, but I hate to break the bank purchasing them. Plus, with so many dietary restrictions, sometimes it can be difficult to find the right coffee shop to accommodate.
I was walking through my local grocery store’s international foods aisle, when something caught my eye. Bottled Thai iced coffee. It looked fairly similar to the Thai iced tea I’d tried, and I knew I just had to have it!
Unfortunately, the drink in question, was not dairy-free. In fact, it was loaded with dairy (condensed milk being the key ingredient).
Disappointed, I left it behind. But when I returned home, I did a quick google search of vegan Thai iced coffee, and I was on my way.
This creamy coconut iced coffee is inspired by the tastes of Thailand and Thai iced coffee. I won’t say it’s the same, it’s not. But it’s still pretty darn good!
To start with, you’ll have to make your own vegan condensed milk, using coconut milk! Once this is done, the recipe pretty much makes itself.
You can read all about it, down below!
Creamy Coconut Iced CoffeeCourse: FOODCuisine: coffee, keto, paleo, veganDifficulty: low
4 cups black coffee, chilled
- Condensed coconut milk
1 can of full fat coconut milk
1/3 cup of Swerve brown sugar substitute
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
Coconut Whipped Cream
- Preparing Condensed Coconut Milk
- Combine coconut milk and sweetener in a saucepan, whisking constantly on medium heat. If you are choosing to add cinnamon and nutmeg, add now.
- When mixture begins to boil, reduce heat to low (simmer) and continue to whisk.
- Whisk on low for approximately 20 minutes, or until mixture becomes thick, and water from coconut milk is completely reduced.
- Remove mix from heat. Place in a container to cool down and then place mix in fridge until completely chilled.
- Preparing your drink
- Pour chilled coffee into a glass with ice.
- Pour approximately 1/4 cup of condensed milk over coffee.
- Stir to combine.
- Optional: Top with Coconut Whipped Cream.
- Nutrition facts are a rough estimate. For more accurate results, you can calculate them yourself using an online calculator.
4 servings per container
- Amount Per ServingCalories111
- % Daily Value *
- Total Fat
- Saturated Fat 10g 50%
- Trans Fat 0.5g
- Sodium 26mg 2%
- Potassium 29mg 1%
- Total Carbohydrate
- Sugars 1g
- Protein 0.4g 1%
* The % Daily Value tells you how much a nutrient in a serving of food contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.